Friday, March 4, 2011

Beginning Test of Natural, Homemade House Cleaners



Today, I made three of the natural, homemade cleaning supplies I said I would make on an earlier blog.  I made the all-purpose cleaner; air freshener; and mirror, glass, and window cleaner.

These products were relatively simple to make, although it was somewhat difficult deciphering how to mix the water and soap for the all-purpose cleaner.  Overall, however, the cleaning supplies are proving to be relatively good overall.

So Far

I haven’t really had much of a chance to actually full-out test the supplies, as I finished making them about half an hour ago.  However, the air freshener and all-purpose cleaner were given a trial run after I finished making them.  I couldn’t try out the mirror, glass, and window cleaner because the spray bottle I put it in was defective.  I’ll be purchasing a new one next time I’m at the store.  For now, here are initial impressions of the products.
·          
      The all-purpose cleaner cleaned the counter I sprayed it on pretty well, and didn’t leave any soap behind.  However, the counter had been cleaned off right before I tested that, so I’ll have to see how well it works once I actually get to clean with it.
·       
            The air freshener didn’t have a scent.  However, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t work, it could possibly cover up bad scents without producing its own scent.  If it doesn’t work, I’ll try adding more lemon juice.
I decided to make only these three products because I already had supplies for the other cleaners, and having even more of them would not be very sustainable.  As I run out of these supplies, I’ll make these recipes and report back. 

Finally, here are the three recipes for the products:

All-purpose cleaner

½ cup pure soap
1 gallon hot water
(I could have added ¼ cup lemon juice for scent and grease, but opted not to.)

Mirror, glass, and window cleaner

1 part vinegar for every 4 parts water

Air freshener

1 tsp baking soda
2 cups hot water
1 tsp lemon juice

I have not yet made the recipes for dish soap, scouring powder, furniture polish, floor polish, copper cleaner, chrome cleaner, brass cleaner, silver cleaner, drain cleaners, and drain uncloggers.  Please let me know if you would like the recipes for these as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment